Tyler Rea Exerciser

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Tyler Rea Exerciser

Postby lenmccoy on Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:47 pm

Last question for tonight,
Tyler Rea is a wing chun practitioner who has a couple book out with some interesting homemade training equipment. One of his devices is a piece 2 foot (about .7 meter for the rest of the word) piece of PVC pipe about as thick as your wrist partially filled with bbs or marbles or ball bearings and caped at both ends. he does exercises with it that actually seem on the surface a lot like Charles Tauber Tai Chi Bang exercises on youtube. Now one word of caution the first time I used this my elbow joint were in pain the next day. If you try it go slow at first.
Anyway curious about anyone's thought on the similarity of the two devices (especially Charles) and what the differences would be between a more external approach vs. an external one.
Thanks Len McCoy
lenmccoy
Mingjing

Re: Tyler Rea Exerciser

Postby charles on Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:21 pm

Hi Len,

Having not seen Rea's exercises, I can't really comment on them.
Last edited by charles on Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
charles
Wuji

Re: Tyler Rea Exerciser

Postby I am... on Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:53 am

Lenmccoy, what you are describing is a common implement used in Hakka martial arts. Each art uses it differently to develop some of the attributes needed but on its base level it generally involves rolling along the arms as they open and close and/or screw in and out.
http://www.appliedcombat.com

"Once you have firmly decided that you face certain death, overwhelming thoughts of fear will be exhausted in your mind..."
-Hirayama Shiryu-
I am...
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan