Training less for better results

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Training less for better results

Postby Chris McKinley on Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:55 pm

Before you go venturing off into personal trolling or net nanny bullshit, are you even remotely aware of who I am or what I'm about? Look at my post count. I'm not exactly new around here. Have you ever read anything I've posted?

Leaving that bullshit aside, your agreement with the original premise of the thread would make it appear you don't disagree with me anyway. Other than looking to stir up some kind of personal thing, I don't see the point of your objections to my claim.
Chris McKinley

Postby Daniel on Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:07 pm

Yes. Train smart, and think of outside-the-box solutions for your purpose.

D.

Sarcasm. Oh yeah, like that´ll work.
Daniel
Great Old One

Postby Tesshu on Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:11 pm

I don't think any of the "masters of old" trained 8 hours a day for their whole life. To survive "real combat situations" it does not need that. Awareness, precision, mindset and a bit of physical skill training - yes.
And several hours a day... mmmh, my teacher talks about clock time vs. mind time. The latter being the time you are able to really concentrate on something and the time you feel (i.e. 20 boring minutes that just don't end vs. 20min of good sex). People usually get obsessed with clock time - the time you can see passing, the thing that is measured. If somebody says: "I train every day for 3 hours." Okay. So what?! Tells me nothing of interest. What is the mind time in that? The rest is stupid repetition (some body skills need that, though - like fucking for more than 20min ;))
4th law of Newton: To every male action there is a female overreaction.
Tesshu
Great Old One

Postby neijia_boxer on Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:15 pm

train hard, train smart, train regularly, and make no excuses....is the motto at our school.

8 hour training days..... ever full time pro MMA fighters dont even train 8 hour days.
neijia_boxer

Postby cdobe on Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:34 pm

I agree with the thread title. The body needs time to recover and adapt. That said, I sometimes make trips, where we do train for such a long time every day. I highly recommend this. The depth of your training increases tremendously and I feel that my energy levels are increasing rather than the opposite (and I mean old school taiji with deep stances).
Of course it's also a matter of what you train. There are different areas of training, that take their time, if you do them correctly and some of them are not hard on your body, like flexibility training for example. For intense training, the recovery work is also an important part of the training that takes its time. So it's easy to spend many hours a day, if you work on various different areas. Another aspect is, that the recovery time shortens when you are an athlete. So if you can afford to train six to eight hours a day, you can do so in a smart way and improve.
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby Chris Fleming on Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:45 pm

Chris McKinley wrote:Before you go venturing off into personal trolling or net nanny bullshit, are you even remotely aware of who I am or what I'm about? Look at my post count. I'm not exactly new around here. Have you ever read anything I've posted?

Leaving that bullshit aside, your agreement with the original premise of the thread would make it appear you don't disagree with me anyway. Other than looking to stir up some kind of personal thing, I don't see the point of your objections to my claim.

Awww did ur widdle fweelings get hurt? I'd better be careful. I wouldn't want to end up in a "real life or death combat" situation with you.

Simply having the same opinion as you so happen to do on this thread does not mean I agree with what you have to say, here or elsewhere. And if anything, it's YOU who misses what others have to say.
Chris Fleming

Postby Bill on Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:56 pm

Tesshu wrote:I don't think any of the "masters of old" trained 8 hours a day for their whole life. To survive "real combat situations" it does not need that.

One instructor of mine said that while he lived in a Taoist monastary they would train in 3 2 hour periods a day. 2 hours in the morning, 2 at noon and 2 later in the day. Also midnight training if you were invited.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby Ben on Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:56 pm

@@@
Never confuse movement with action.
-Ernest Hemingway
Ben
Great Old One

Postby Chris McKinley on Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:01 pm

RE: "Awww did ur widdle fweelings get hurt? I'd better be careful. I wouldn't want to end up in a "real life or death combat" situation with you.". No, they didn't. And no, I would hope you wouldn't. Neither would I, for that matter. I guess that's one of the differences between someone who's experienced real violence directly and someone who's just an unknown quantity with no direct experience and who's just looking to troll or otherwise act a jerk just to make himself look more important to his internet buddies. How about some actual discussion of the thread topic rather than picking a personal thing with me?

RE: "Simply having the same opinion as you so happen to do on this thread does not mean I agree with what you have to say, here or elsewhere.". Nice. Now, since you seem so adamant in making clear that, even when you agree with me, you aren't agreeing with me, do you have anything actually relevant as an objection to any claim I've made? Just curious, because so far you haven't, yet you're quite excited about making sure how clear it is that you don't agree with me. How about just for fun you post either how your opinion differs from mine and/or why? Who knows, I might learn something.
Chris McKinley

Postby mrtoes on Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:12 pm

Hi Chris (McKinley),

If I may distract you from Other Chris for a moment... I'm sure you've covered this before till you're blue in the face, but for the "average" person in the street, could you give an idea of what frequency training, for how long and covering what sort of material might reasonably equip them with a "decent" level of skills to be prepared to handle sudden and unexpected violence? I know it depends on the person, their specific goals and so on but I'd be genuinely interested in specifics. Let me add the assumption that this person is not particularly interested in the non-combative aspects of your art.

Matthew.
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby Chris Fleming on Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:18 pm

"do you have anything actually relevant as an objection to any claim I've made?"

Already made it and you apparently missed it, which is what I mean by saying that you don't bother to listen but just blather, making yourself look like some kind of Spetsnaz Navy Seal Ranger expert on the internet. You must have been too busy being so deadly.
Chris Fleming

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:35 pm

ah grasshopper you finally see
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Daniel on Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:08 am

Ah yes, landlord, double espressos all around, make two of them triples please, and give me a Kona chaser with my double.

D.

Sarcasm. Oh yeah, like that´ll work.
Daniel
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:57 am

isn't there a muay thai guy who runs a marathon every morning before training?

I can't see the logic of wasting 3-4 hours per day before training, when you could get superior results with 20 minutes of sprint intervals a couple times per week.

but imo most people could do with more neijia practice, not less.

and I always liked the advice of john wang and pavel - end your session wanting more / leave one or two reps in the bank.
Last edited by Ian on Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ian

Postby HaraldH on Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:32 am

As people said before, the main thing is training in an intelligent way. If you train for 8 hours a day and just carve your wrong understanding of proper motion into your body, this might actually hurt!

I find that training is always a mix of ingraining 'understood' stuff into your body - that takes lot of practice time - and discovering new and even better ways of moving around - that needs more of an open and playful mind, as well as good focus. Sometimes kind of lax practice habits help with the latter part. Even the first part is tricky. ROI on time spend very much depends on mind focus etc.
HaraldH
Anjing

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan